Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chocolate Candy Cane Cake


I found this recipe in Cooks Illustrated, Holiday Baking.  It sounded so yummy I just had to try it.  We had a brunch with some of the MOPS Mentor Moms from church, and I thought it would be the perfect thing!

This cake starts off with a deep dark devils food chocolate cake recipe.  Then it's layered in a peppermint buttercream, topped with a white chocolate buttercream and crumbled peppermints.  As I was making the frosting, I was wondering "Is this too much?" but later at the brunch when I took a bite, I was not disappointed!

I decided to try a square cake just for fun.  I love a square cake, it's so easy to slice up.  I also think it adds a touch of elegance.
I place the peppermint candies around the cake and piped the remaining white chocolate buttercream around.  It was a little tricky to pipe the icing on the crushed peppermint, it did not want to stick to it.  I decided to leave the crumbled peppermints on the platter like a bed of pink sugar, or pink snow- it looked so pretty to me.

A close up of the crushed peppermints.  Oh heaven.  Peppermint Mocha?  Peppermint Chocolate Ice cream? Peppermint chocolate candies?  Peppermint chocolate cookies? You have met your match-in a cake! I will be making it again soon.


Have you tried any of Cook's recipes?  I just love how they tell a little story of how they came up with the "perfect" recipe and all they did to try different ways to make it.  Very fun!
Happy Baking!  Blessings, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment