Thursday, October 21, 2010

Italian Cream Cake, and Buttered Pecans w/Recipe!!




My sister-in-law recently had her birthday.  She really wanted an Italian (Wedding) Cream Cake, but her friends couldn't find one for her.  They ended up getting her chocolate, which she said was very good.  So, when she came to town to visit, I surprised her with her long awaited Italian Cream Cake!  


I found this recipe in an old local cookbook I've had forever.  I love little finds like this.  I've made this cake several times over the years, and it always comes out perfect.  I love to top this cake with buttered pecans, it's the perfect compliment.  I've included all the recipes below with a few minor adjustments.




Austin Heritage Cookbook 
Italian Cream Cake
2 sticks of butter
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups cake flour, sifted with 
1 tsp. soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups coconut
1 cup pecan pieces
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

Cream butter, shortening, sugar, and salt.  Add egg yolks and vanilla.  Add flour alternately with buttermilk.  Stir in nuts and coconut.  In a clean bowl combine egg whites and cream of tarter, beat egg whites until stiff.  Fold in gently.  Pour into a 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until done.  You can also use three 8" round pans and cook for about 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 lb. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 lb box of powered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients an spread over cake

Rachel's Buttered Pecans
1 cup pecans
1 tbs. butter

Sauté pecans and butter in a skillet (I like to use my cast iron).  Cook about 10-15 minutes on med high heat.  Once pecans are fragrant and slightly darker they are ready to remove from heat.  Cool on paper towel and they should be slightly crisp once cool.  You might want to make a little extra to make sure you have enough.  I know I do, because my husband always likes to taste them before I can use them.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment