Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old Fashioned Lemon Poppy Seed Cake- Recipe!!

Ok, ok, I did not make this recently, but I did make it and since I'm participating in a 21 day fast with my church, I'm not making cake for just a little while longer.   So, I thought I'd share some oldies and goodies with you!

I have a love of things old.  Hence my old house, my old antique stove- among the many!  So, I found this wonderful cookbook by the Brass Sisters, Heirloom Baking.  It is composed of recipes from days past.  The recipes have been collected from scraps of papers, journals, family cookbooks, and their own recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation.

Here is my flour, no they don't give the measurements for weighed amounts, but to insure a successful cake, I do measure each dry ingredient.  :)
My ingredients ready for mixing!
The batter looks yummy!  I am scraping the sides down after using my mixer.
All ready for the oven.
My finished cake.  I made a lemon sugar glaze for the top.  The crumb was perfect and the lemon taste was just the right amount.

Anyone want a slice?  mmmmmmm....
The cake was quite scrumptious, although a little on the sweet side.
Thank you to all the cooks that have come before me!

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
from Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters

For Cake
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup poppy seeds
3 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

For Lemon Glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch of salt

1.  Set the oven rack in the middle position.  Preheat the oven to 350degrees.  Coat an 8-cup Bundt pan or an 8-cup tube pan with vegetable spray or butter and dust with flour.
2.  To make the cake:  Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3.  Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  With mixer running, add eggs, on at a time, and sour cream.  Add poppy seeds.  Fold in sifted dry ingredients in thrids.  Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well.
4.  Pour batter into pan.  bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and tester inserted into cake comes out clean.  Cake may crack on top.  Place pan on a rack and cool about 20 minutes.  Run a butter knife around the edges.  Turn out cake onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
5.  To make the lemon glaze:  Mix together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl.  Slip a sheet of wax paper under rack to catch drips.  Use a teaspoon or fork to drizzle glaze over the top of cake.  After the glaze has set, store loosely covered with wax paper at room temperature.  Cake can be frozen and reheated.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
Blessings, Rachel

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. looks super yummy!!!
    I have a craft/party/giveaway blog one day it will say /recipes in there lol :)when i learn to cook that is.. have an awesome giveaway going on right now!
    hope to see you join :)

    ReplyDelete