Thursday, November 5, 2009

Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting - Recipe!!

My aunt Jeanne says this is her favorite cupcake recipe, she loves vanilla! So, even while she was hobbling around after foot surgery she made the effort send me this recipe. I'm so glad she did, it is super yummy!

It's from Martha Stewart,
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcakes and Billy's Vanilla Buttercream.

You won't be disappointed!

I made small cupcakes and large cupcakes. The small have sprinkles and the large have none.

In the picture you can see a few of the cupcakes are a bit wide on the tops. I over filled the pan just a little bit and the result was wide tops.  Not exactly how I wanted them to look, but I was pretty happy with them anyway. This was my first time with the large cupcake size.

Large cupcake close up! Yummy!

Here are the small cupcakes up close!

Green and pink are one of my favorite color combinations.

I love followers and comments.

Leave me a comment and let me know which look you like best!
Large/Small?? Sprinkles or none?

Happy Baking!!





Makes about 30 cupcakes
(I added to the directions, hopefully it's more clear)

1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) room temperature unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, cutting into the flour mixture one piece at a time while the mixer is on low, being careful to not over beat.

In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat.

Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. The large cupcakes did have to cook a little longer, just keep testing them until the center comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Serve at room temperature.


Billy's Vanilla Buttercream


Ingredients
Makes enough for 30 cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.

3 comments:

  1. I think I need to taste the large and the small both with and without sprinkles and then I can tell you what I think. ;-)

    You are one busy baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might need to do that! I have been craving these ever since I made them, but I gave them all away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These vanilla cupcakes are the BEST! Yours look fantastic! I love the small ones with the sprinkles and the different colored icing you used. I have blogged about these also, and it's one of my fav bakeries here in the city.

    ReplyDelete